Monday, November 07, 2005

New Look, Some Decisions

I thought it was time to change the look of Adrienne's blog. I hope you like it. I'll try to find a good picture of Adrienne to post here too.

After much going back and forth, we found that it will be impossible to schedule the CIK trial during Adrienne's month off of school in December and January. I had thought that Stanford was being difficult when I asked for certain dates but it turns out that the cells have to go to a lab in Philadelphia for processing, and they are unable to accommodate us. We hope that Adrienne can hold a remission until May when she has plenty of time to do the trial. The radiation seems to have worked and we hope her disease will stay under control during the next 7 months until she can do the trial. She is scheduled for PET/CT the day after Thanksgiving and we are hoping for great results.

Adrienne will have the hip surgery as originally planned on December 19. We hope to do the preop after her PET/CT so she'll be ready to go as soon as she gets back from college on December 15. I'm not sure if she will spend a night or two in the hospital yet, but she would be staying at the adult's hospital this time. I want to make sure her pain is under control with oral meds before she comes home. After that, she will spend 6 weeks on crutches.

As a result of the radiation and apparent damage to the vocal cords, Adrienne cannot talk at all. This is quite worrisome as it has been over a week now without any improvement, so she will see a doctor this week. She also has some new numbness in both hips and down the front of her legs that needs to be evaluated.

2 comments:

The Mac Fam said...

I like the new look, very fresh. I am sorry to hear she won't be able to start her trial when you thought. We will just pray she stays in remission 'til May. Also, that her voice returns and her body gets stronger everyday. I look forward to reading about great things. Keep going Adrienne, you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to catch up with your saga, and I continue to be so awed by what Adrienne accomplishes each day. Thanks for your online support to our family in these past months, and know that I check in on you as well.

Karen, Clare's mom www.caringbridge.org/md/clareschmidt