Friday, March 23, 2007

Scans Today

Some Progression

Sorry for the late post. I love City of Hope because we get quick results. I hate City of Hope because we get quick results. Adrienne's disease is stable in the lungs and pelvis but she had moderate progression in the spleen. We aren't sure about what to do next except to wait until the PET scan and then make some decisions. We'll keep you posted.

-----------------------------
There isn't much going on this week. Adrienne has been very busy at college with what she calls "project month." She's working on a big survey exploring attitudes about blood donation. Luckily, she can conduct one survey for two classes (Research Methods and Social Psychology) but she still has to write a report for each class.

Adrienne has a CT today about midday. We're all hoping for good results but we probably won't hear until Monday. A reduction in her disease would be wonderful but we'll be happy with stability. Next Friday, she has a PET scan, which is more useful for her because disease in the bone doesn't show on the CT and we need to watch the lesion in the shoulder bone as well as the hips. She isn't having any pain or itching so we take that as a good sign.

We have another friend with Hodgkin's Disease who is going through a difficult time, Alese Coco. We met the family while looking for clinical trials for Adrienne, and it turns out Alese is treated at City of Hope, where Adrienne is seen. Her family referred us to Dr. O in New York and we talk frequently sharing ideas and our concerns for our girls. If you get a chance, go to http://www.alesecoco.org/ and leave a message in the guestbook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about that spleen, but I'm impressed as usual at how you just keeping looking to the next step. That what can you do attitude is the best one, I think.

I'm fascinated with Adrienne's project about attitudes toward blood donation. I would be so interested in whatever she writes up about it. I've been recruiting for the local Red Cross blood drives in our community for 5 or 6 years now, and I'm constantly amazed at how difficult it can be to get people to donate blood.

Best to you both and I hope this week brings better news all the way around.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison

Thanks for posting Alese Coco's website. I've been reading it, and again, I'm so amazed about another young woman having such a zest for life, and such tenacity in fighting cancer.
I'm praying for her and her family, as I pray for Adrienne and your family.
-Chri