Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Before I talk about Adrienne's scans, I'd like to mention a few people who are going through particularly tough times. Tyler Chambers, a young man from Ohio, who had been through auto and allo transplants like Adrienne, suddenly died on Saturday. Though his disease was in remission, he developed a pulmonary embolism, which was totally unexpected. Please stop by his blog and leave a message for his mom, Kelly, and his family. I can only hope that our thoughts can ease their pain a little bit. http://www.tylersfight.blogspot.com/

Jessica Wentz, a young mother of two from North Carolina, has refractory disease like Adrienne. She was supposed to go see Dr. O'Connor in New York this week but is in the hospital, quite ill. Please leave her a message at her Caringbridge site. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jessicawentz

We just got the scan report this afternoon and are very humbled by the amazing results. I wish everyone could have a Dr. O'Connor who tries to do his best for each and every patient, and who knows what to do. His entire staff is always there, smiling, offering to do whatever they can to make our life and Adrienne's life better. It's not quite remission, but as close as you can get. She has complete resolution of all of her disease, including the spots in the bone. There is still one small spot in the right lung that is "faintly FDG avid" and we aren't even sure that matters. I think Adrienne hoped that it was totally clear, but we'll take it. I honestly believe that Adrienne would not have survived even a few more weeks given the aggressiveness of her disease before the Bendamustine, and to say that we are very, very grateful sounds trivial.

With everyone else who is going through such difficult times, I don't want to celebrate too much and we are painfully aware of how short-lived things can be. Adrienne is coming here tomorrow and Friday for chemo and will go back to CMC on Sunday night. Let's hope she isn't feeling too badly so we can enjoy the weekend.

17 comments:

Tonya said...

JUMPING as high as I can, sharing your excitement and joy!

There is something about the "O-Man!"

Heather said...

great news about adrienne's scan results!

and thanks for the updates about jessica and tyler.

laulausmamma said...

HALLELUYAH!! I was just going to email you hoping that no news was good news...so thankful that it's GREAT news. I've been meaning to ask you if you have Jessica's address...if so..pls email it to me. Gleeful ((HUGS)) to you both.

Susan

katmm said...

Adrienne, I have already emailed your Mom but wanted to post here so you know how relieved, happy, warm inside we are to hear this news. You deserve it. Now get home and keep Moe company for a few days!
Kathy and Eric

Veronica said...

FANTASTIC!! Nothing less than you all deserve......so, so, happy for you - smiling from ear to ear!
:0)..........Vx

Anonymous said...

I feel like punctuating the silence in my office with some loud WOOHOOs right now!!! I'm so happy that you guys got some well-deserved good news. I'm really thrilled!

Janet (Quetzal1)

Anonymous said...

That's GREAT!!! Allison or Adrienne, did Dr. O ever consider rituxin with bendamustine? Was that ever a discussion? If so, would you mind posting about it? Thanks a lot.

Unknown said...

So happy to hear about this good scan.

I know you are sensitive to the pain of those who aren't doing as well, or who have gotten the worst news. But it is good news, and a step forward in the study of this drug, I would think.

Best to your family,

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled about this news! Wonderful!! XO, Maureen

Anonymous said...

Alison & Adrienne,
So happy to hear about this! Congratulations; and I hope you are both able to enjoy the weekend.
Kelly
(kittycatmom)

Anonymous said...

Hi gals - GREAT NEWS!!!!

Kelly Kane said...

Hip Hip Hoooooooooooooooooray! The most amazing news ever!!!!!!!

I hope she enjoys some quality time with you and the puppy this weekend to celebrate.

XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I'm really really happy to hear this good news.

Anonymous said...

Im glad you are doing good. Im going to be doing Treanda soon myself and am scared. SCT comes after that. I will pray for you. KIM

laulausmamma said...

Hope treatment went smoothly and you are all enjoying a nice weekend together. ((HUGS))
Susan

wendeeB said...

I am SO EXCITED for you all. I hope Adrienne is feeling as well as her scans look.

Chris said...

Hey you guys, just wanted to congratulate you on the great scan! What a relief...

I hope this carries you through summer and well beyond!

All the best to you both :-)