Sunday, March 27, 2011

Adrienne Would be Proud

I was accepted in the Educational Psychology masters program at UNLV last week. I guess they decided to ignore my GRE quantitative score, which was really low. I realized that I could only raise my score by taking an algebra/geometry class so I'm happy I don't have to do that. I can apply to the PhD program next year and work on both degrees at the same time. My hope is to work on a master's thesis that can evolve in a PhD dissertation. This is all going to take awhile but I'm enjoying school in the meantime. It's challenging but not too hard.

We went to LA and Santa Barbara a couple of weeks ago. It was nice to see Daniel and he asked me to visit more often. It sure is nice when your 22 year old son wants to see his mom.

Caesar is turning into an old man day by day, poor thing. We thought he was having more back trouble but now it seems he's deaf. He can hear a few high pitched sounds but that's about it. Now I can stop calling his name when I'm looking for him, wondering why he just lays there. He's still happy, excited for his now short walks and eating normally (that dog loves his food). The little ones are oblivious and are just happy when he plays with them.

I'm going to be 50 in July, so as a present to myself, we're taking a trip to Italy at the end of May between spring semester and summer term. It took a long time to figure out where we wanted to go and how to use the miles and hotel points we've been saving for several years. Of course, I wish Adrienne was here as we had hoped for a family trip for this milestone but it'll just be the two of us this time.

Some days are really hard but there are rays of sunshine and laughter, and things to look forward to. I miss her each and every day. I miss her phone calls and texts, her movie reviews on Facebooks, sending me articles from the NY Times, and just sitting and watching TV. Adrienne would be proud, cheering us on.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Adrienne would definitely be proud of your scholastic (and countless other) achievements! I was so glad I didn't have to take the GRE for my master's. I would have bombed the math portion. Italy will be awesome! Let me know where you're going, and I might be able to give some recommendations. We spent 12 days there in 2007, a couple of months after I finished chemo. I'm sorry about Cesar--it's as hard to see pets age as it is to see people. All my love, Janet

Heather said...

Congratulations and good luck! I am sure that Adrienne is very proud of her mom. And also thankful for how hard you worked for her-getting treatments and what nots. I've never seen such a devoted parent, I admire you just as I admire Adrienne!

JoAnn said...

Congratulations on your academic achievements! I have a Ph.D. and my quantitative scores on the GRE were ignored. They must have been. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that they were that awful. I think Adrienne would be so pleased and happy for you and proud of you. Have a wonderful time in Italy.

laulausmamma said...

That's wonderful Alison - so glad to hear that your studies are progressing as you hoped. A trip to Italy sounds wonderful. I know you and Adrienne would have had a ball planning it all and then making the trip as a family. Glad to know that you and Kurt will have this adventure together - I'm sure you'll plan an amazing trip for yourselves to celebrate your special milestone birthday.

((HUGS))
Susan

Marsha said...

Oh Alison, you are an amazing person! I am sure Adrienne is very proud of you. And I am just amazed at your strength.

Karen said...

Haven't checked in for a while, but I'm glad to read this update . . . how great that you're in school. I can't wait to hear about Italy. We need to make that trip to reward Phoebe who is in her 4th year of Italian.

Karen, Clare's mom (I get to sign this way so seldom now, it still makes me smile when I do it here)

Veronica said...

Must correct your title...."Adrienne would CONTINUE to be proud"! Her love for you and her pride in having such a selfless mum was evident on the few days I spent with you both.
And actually cannot believe you are reaching the 50-years milestone - you who could have passed for Adrienne's sister rather than her mother!!
Congrats for all you continue to achieve.....much love......Vx

Anonymous said...

Alison

I admire you and hope to be like you some day!

carrie lewis said...

So excited for you. While we have never met, your words of wisdom have guided me and Andrew through harsh times. You have such a strong mothering spirit. I look to you for comfort on the forum and for hope when others are struggling. You always deliver.

I wish I had known Adrienne. I can oly imagine just how special she was. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Alison,

Congratulations on getting accepted. You have a lot of studying ahead of you :) Hope you enjoy it.

-Delila

Unknown said...

Hi Alison,
It's been awhile since I was on the board but came across your blog this evening and wanted to wish you an early Happy Birthday and to say how happy I am for you that you are going on your trip to Italy. Adrienne would be so glad you are going! Congrats on your being accepted to the Masters program - you are such a smart lady and when you put your mind to something you give it 100%! You'll have your PhD before you know it. Exciting!!

All the best and look forward to reading about your trip and classes!

Ann

dazzle said...

Hi
I wanted to let you know that a book from our 2007 Kravis Conference was published and we dedicated the book to our families and to Adrienne. I would like for you to have a copy. Will you email me your address? murph2se@jmu.edu
Susan

Anonymous said...

just came over here to thank you for your second opinion post. i'm a lurker over there (am shy; please don't judge me). you are amazing, pure and simple.and the information you give, so clearly and cogently put, saves lives and helps people navigate a seemingly impenetrable system at a time when they are most vulnerable and have less presence of mind and perhaps energy to find out how to go about things. i am so delighted that you are going into the field you have chosen. as you say, Adrienne would be so very proud of you. you are a gift and you have taken an unutterably horrific situation and tried your hardest to use the knowledge you culled towards the benefit of others. i hate that you have had to know what you know but i am so thankful that you share it and your brilliance and compassion with the world.

Anonymous said...

I would like to second the words of Anonymous (the lurker). I have so much respect for you and Adrienne.