Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Don't Try This at Home

QUICK UPDATE: Adrienne had her CT scan yesterday. She has some progression in the spleen but everything else looks stable. She sees the doctor on Monday to decide next steps but it sounds like there are a few options on the table.

-----------------------------------

I never expected that we'd see so much wildlife in the desert. We have rabbits, quail, snakes, and lizards, all pretty harmless. We even found a baby duck in the pool the other day. Yesterday, I met another of our "neighbors." When reaching down to pick up what I thought was a leaf dragged in from the garage, I felt a pinch like a needle prick on my left index finger. Then it really started to hurt. I turned on a light, and sure enough, it was a scorpion. After stepping on it and putting it down the garbage disposal, I went to my neighbor's and called Curt. As I suspected, the scorpions in Nevada aren't deadly and you just have to wait it out. I don't even know how to describe how bad the pain was, even vicodin didn't touch it. I was told it would only last a few hours. After 10.5 hours with my hand in ice, it finally felt good enough that I could go to sleep. This morning, it's a bit sore and my lower lip is numb, but otherwise I'm fine. Needless to say, I'll be more careful in the future about touching anything on the floor.

Adrienne is enjoying New York and her job. She met some other CMCers last week who live there and they've been having a good time, though Adrienne says she just can't stay out on work nights because she's too tired. Tomorrow she has a CT and then she sees the doctor on Monday to figure out the next steps. I'll know more early next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about that spleen . . . but glad that the other sites are stable. Options are good.

And scorpions are scary! Hope your hand is better--I'd probably have to avoid the garage for a week if I got nailed by one of those.