Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Nervous Days

Adrienne saw the doctor this afternoon. We've been worried about doing another clinical trial but he still thinks we have time to try as long as they monitor her disease very closely. The clinical trial that she's dropping out of has seen two responses in Hodgkin's Disease, but unfortunately Adrienne wasn't one of those. Right now, the itching from the disease is annoying. She scratched her foot so hard the other day that she made a nice bruise. They prescribed a new drug for the itching, which helps a lot but it also makes her very sleepy. So now Adrienne will get ready for the ABT-263 trial with more tests over the next two weeks. Here's some information about the drug. http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-26-2007/0004615505&EDATE==

Today was Adrienne's first day of classes. She had two: a religious studies class (for humanities GE credit) and a class on personality (for a psychology elective). So far, so good. She's also taking Intro to Film Studies and Finance/Accounting plus one additional class that she's hoping to get into. She won't need to work this semester so that should help make her schedule manageable, especially with her treatment. There's a shuttle bus from the campus to the medical center or she can take a short subway ride so that's quite convenient.

We're very nervous right now with the faster progression. The doctor promises to watch her very closely and change course quickly if needed. She isn't having symptoms from the cancer in her lung (such as pain, coughing, shortness of breath) so she's supposed to pay very close attention to that. She also isn't having B symptoms (fevers, night sweats, weight loss). If anything changes, they promise to make a change in her treatment. So we just watch and wait. I told the doctor today very directly that we don't want to make a short term decision that could compromise her health later and he acknowledged that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne, I hope your first week of classes went well! I know you have that paper to write; it should be interesting. Thinking of you always! Hugs and love,
Karen

Unknown said...

Adrienne,

I am thinking and praying for you that all goes well. Your Mom, Alison, found me through Alese Coco's web page. I too have HD and have been battling since May 2005 with no breaks. After having my second stem cell transplant (allo) in November, I am now experiencing chronic Graft vs. Host disease really bad. It is in my eyes, mouth, and lungs. I am really sick, but am still fighting it with all I've got. You are a fighter too!!! Keep Smiling, Fighting, & Laughing!!!

www.jenniferwilley.org

~Jen

Unknown said...

Hi Adrienne,

I am thinking and praying for you that all goes well. Your mother, Alison, found me through Alese Coco's web page. I too have been battling HD since May 2005 with no breaks. I had my second stem cell transplant back in November and am currently struggling with chronic graft vs. host disease. I have it in my mouth, eyes, and lungs. I am really sick but am still fighting. You too are a fighter!!

Keep Smiling, Fighting, & Laughing!!

www.jenniferwilley.org

~Jennifer