Friday, February 01, 2008

Another Loss

We lost another friend this week, Sarah Hawthorne. She was an amazing person who offered her wisdom and support to many, many people on the Webmagic Hodgkin's forum. Similar to Adrienne, Sarah relapsed after an autologous transplant and recently started a phase 1 clinical trial. She died shortly after that, stunning all of us who knew her. As Brian said, "We all tend to settle down into our specific roles here on the board - the joker, the healer, the parent, the hero, the fighter, the librarian, the cheerleader - Sarah was one of the few who filled all of the roles. As sad as I am for myself, for those who've known her from the start, and those who had barely met her, I feel most sad for those who will come after and not get to know the light, happiness and love that is Sarah."

Adrienne's platelets came up a bit on Wednesday so she was able to skip the transfusion. She still has some hideous looking bruises on her foot and butt from her falls but at least they aren't hurting so much any more. Since her chemo was cancelled this week, she came home yesterday and will go back to California on Sunday. She is very fatigued and pale, but otherwise is feeling well. She has scans next week and if her disease is stable or smaller, she'll get a reduced dose of the same chemo. If there's been any progression, she'll start another phase 1 clinical trial. Scary times right now...

9 comments:

laulausmamma said...

We're by your side through thick and thin Alison and Adrienne. Glad you didn't have to go through the 5 hour "platelet hassle" Adrienne - now you can enjoy being home without sitting through that! Enjoy your weekend.

Love and hugs,
Susan

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that you lost a friend. Sarah sounds like a very special person.

Adrienne, I am hoping that you are enjoying some time at home with no doctor appointments.

Thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way.

Robynn's Blog said...

I am so sorry to read about your friend, Sarah. She sounds like she was a lovely person!!

Adrienne, you are on my mind and I hope you feel better soon. With all you've been through I wish there was already a cure.

I recently have begun treatment for a heart condition as a result of the chemo and raditation therapies I had.

Please take care and stay strong - you are still an inspiration to us all!
Love always, Robynn

B. said...

Here,

with you Alison and Adrienne,

always,

B

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Sarah . . . the losses are so hard, and the ripple effect so pronounced even or maybe especially in internet communities.

Wishing you peace and strength (and sticky platelets) from here in Maryland.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

Adrienne and Alison-
I'm sorry about your friend. It totally sucks. Been thinking tons about Erika lately. I attended Kick Off this past week and wished she were there! You guys are in my thoughts. I'm soooo incredibly impressed all the time by you Adrienne. I think that if everyone had at least an little bit of your drive a cure for all cancers would have already been found.
Erica Ucolano

laulausmamma said...

Hi Adrienne - I hope and pray you are back at school reading this after a restful weekend home in Vegas. Have a good week - and we'll all be sending tons of positive vibes that the tests you have this week will bring good news.

Loving hugs,
Susan

skye said...

Been thinking about you and Adrienne a lot lately. Sure hope she has good results for her scans and is able to stay on this trial for as long as it works for her (maybe even until a cure is found!)

Take care, and let me know anything I can do.

Skye

Michele Dwyre said...

Adrienne, you sure are one tough lady. You are an inspiration to us all.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend...it is never easy.

I've enjoyed reading about your college classes. It makes me really want to go back and take some classes.

I'm sending you lots of healing and support from NorCal.
Michele Dwyre