Monday, June 30, 2008

Insanity

Things have been a bit crazy around the our household. Early last Wednesday morning, Curt's brother called to say that their mom had passed away after a steep decline the last few weeks. The funeral is this Wednesday in Seattle and we'll be flying up there tomorrow. Curt is doing okay but, as expected, is quite upset. Men and women just deal with these things differently I suppose. When my dad died, I could barely contain the tears.

Last Wednesday afternoon, after the phone call about Curt's mom, Adrienne and I flew out to Boston for the Hodgeapolooza bash. About 30 of us (patients and family) from as far as Scotland and California gathered for fun and sightseeing. It was an amazing opportunity to meet up with our online friends from the Webmagic Lymphoma forum. Unfortunately, Adrienne started feeling bad the morning after we arrived with bad GI symptoms and painful stomach aches. She was up and down the entire time we were there, joining in on some activities and sleeping during others. Prior to the trip, she was feeling fine so we were caught a bit off guard with the sudden changes.

Today she had her checkup with the doctor and he prescribed some medications to help with the symptoms. The problems seem to occur the day after the MGCD so we'll try to get on top of it quicker this week. Add to that, Adrienne is severely anemic and can't get a shot of aranesp before we leave. Apparently, the insurance companies now won't approve the shot without a ferritin level and that takes 24 hours, just about the time we'll be on the plane to Seattle. I have a call into SCCA where Adrienne had her allo transplant in 2003 to see if she can get labs and possibly a transfusion while we're up there.

We'll be back on Thursday night and, hopefully, we'll have a quiet 4th of July weekend. I'm not planning on falling this year so we should be good to go. Hopefully Adrienne will be feeling well by then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Alison and Adrienne,

It was great to finally meet you both this weekend! Adrienne, I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, but I'm glad you got to go to brunch and on the duck tour. Your ability to walk so well with the cast on your leg was amazing.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your mother-in-law/grandmother's passing. I know it was expected, but that doesn't make it easier. I lost both parents to lung cancer and understand how difficult it is. Please pass along my condolences to Curt.

I hope you both will have a chance to relax after this busy week very soon. Hugs, Janet

--Alison, Thank you for entertaining Tyler during the dinner. He got a little fussy after being in the high chair for so long, but I think he enjoyed himself.

Anonymous said...

I don't always comment but I always read the blog. I must admit I that Adrienne continues to amaze me and her fighting mother sets an example for us all. Thank you for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just love the word Hodegapalooza . . . and how awesome that you got to meet up with so many folks all at once. I hope Adrienne is feeling better, and that you were able to get the care you needed when you needed it.

And I wish comfort and peace to Curt and your whole family. End of life is difficult no matter what the circumstance.

Karen, Clare's mom