Monday, June 02, 2008

Silliness, by Adrienne

With all the falling from what we thought was neuropathy, it was bound to happen. Today I fell in the lobby of Nevada Cancer Institute while trying to catch the elevator, quite silly really. I broke my foot in at least two places, maybe three. It hurts ***A LOT***. I'm using a compression boot and crutches and will have it looked at again when the swelling goes down in about a week.

Mom and I also got ourselves into a panic about the size of the tumor in my lung (6+ cm) plus increasing wheezing and talked about going straight to chemo instead of the trial. We came to the conclusion that we have faith in MGCD and would like to give it a shot. According to the doctor, it's not less likely to work because of the amount of cancer I have. We'll just want to monitor more frequently.

We spent much of last week in Northern California. Mom had meetings for work and my aunt's 50th birthday party on Saturday was fun and chilly. On Friday, I saw the pediatric neurologist at Stanford to discuss the aforementioned neuropathy. Turns out it probably is not a result of the oxaliplatin/gemcitabine. He's not sure if it's muscle atrophy or nerve damage but we were able to pinpoint the problem to my right quadracep. I'll start with an MRI of my hips and pelvis and then will have other tests as necessary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adrienne

Sounds like you made quite an entrance! I'm sorry about your foot and hope that the pain will ease soon. It does make for a funny story that you will be able to tell for years to come.

I will be thinking about you as you begin the trial. Take care.

A mommy

Duane said...

Yikes about your foot!!!

Feel better and recover very soon!!

Love,
Duane