Thursday, March 19, 2009

Got Chemo

Adrienne has been feeling good so we asked about getting chemo today while she's home for spring break. At first, the doctor wanted to wait another week and then decided it would be okay if Adrienne was doing well enough, which she was. She had a chest xray, which still shows some infiltrate, but it takes awhile for that to clear. She's feeling well so we wanted to take the opportunity. Not much of a spring break, but we need to look at the long term.

I sent an email to a cardiologist in Miami who is the guru of Adrienne's type of cardiomyopathy. He's written or coauthored virtually every study on the subject. He offered to spend an hour on the phone with me discussing her situation. Wow, isn't that great? That will happen next Wednesday so stay tuned.

Prince is not doing well at all. He doesn't seem to be in pain but is very uncomfortable as his body is filling with fluid and he's having trouble getting around. He stopped eating last week and the vet put him on prednisone to stimulate his appetite, but now I think it's prolonging his suffering so I stopped it yesterday. He still wags his tail for us so we're just taking it a day at a time. Curt is out of town but will be home tomorrow, thank goodness. Curt and Prince are definitely buds so he wants to be here, and I definitely don't feel up to it on my own.

5 comments:

laulausmamma said...

So sorry that Prince has continued to deteriorate and you have to make "the" decision. Glad Kurt will be home so it's not all on your shoulders. Hope this round of chemo goes easy for Adrienne.

The get-together in Vegas doesn't seem to be getting much interest. I saw that Ryan posted that he and Jenny will not be there. We're still up in the air until we know for sure if Rich will still have a job. He meets with his boss tomorrow...hopefully he'll get good news that they have someplace for him after his facility shuts down.

Busy with RFL stuff...I have 31 teams to mentor. So far we have 113 teams registered...there were 109 at RFL last year...and we still have another 2 mos to go. I'm arranging a couple of fundraisers for our team...hope everything falls into place so we can raise some $$.

((HUGS)) of support as you worry about Prince...I dread the day we'll have to worry about our Dorie.

Susan xoxooxox

Veronica said...

Hope the chemo isn't too rough on Adrienne so that she can get some rest and relaxation during Spring Break..........I'm sorry about Prince, too - we went through this last year with one of our dogs and it is so sad to have to watch them going downhill......hugs to you all........Vx

Anonymous said...

I hope all goes well with Adrienne's chemo.

My first cat got really sick and started to swell with fluids (he had had a cancer that tends to come back). The vet was able to aspirate some of the fluid to make the little guy more comfortable. Of course, it came back, but it did help Milford feel a little better. I hope Prince will feel better, too.

I don't know about Las Vegas yet. My marathon is on June 20. Also, Jaime just changed from United to Delta, so I've got to see what the benefits are like. I'd love to make it!

Hope you guys are well. Janet

Tonya said...

Awe, I am sorry Prince is sick. We just lost one of my Chihuahua's last week.

Sounds like Adrienne is doing well. All good news! I'd be really interested in hearing what the cardiologist has to say since I too have cardiomyopathy from the freakin chemo (dang stuff).

Hugs!

Unknown said...

Nothing like going to to the top to get your information! Isn't it amazing where cancer takes you sometimes . . . hope that phone call brings some answers or at least some clarity.

If your search for answers ever brings you to the Washington, DC area, don't forget us--we're always good for a ride from airport, room and board!

Karen, Clare's mom