Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Julie and Julia

Julie and Julia is coming out on DVD. This is the last movie Adrienne and I saw together in New York last summer. We both really enjoyed it and laughed that we were the youngest people in the theater, that is, Adrienne was the youngest and I was the next youngest. Yes, it was full of old ladies but we loved it anyways. Adrienne was always a huge movie buff and I miss her movie reviews and my foodie buddy, actually, I miss everything.

I have up days and down days. It seems like the smallest thing can just start a flood of tears. Yesterday, I got a haircut and I have a new girl since mine moved out of state last summer. We were doing the usual chit chat and she asked about my kids. I know she felt horrible when I talked about Adrienne and started crying. Of course, it wasn't her fault but this is something I'll have to learn how to handle.

Curt and I are off to Cabo on Saturday for a week. It'll be nice to get away to the warmth. Yes, it's cold here in Las Vegas and the dogs don't even want to go out. It makes it hard to train a new puppy, who was doing great before the grass froze. Moe and Rudy are old friends now, running around the house playing almost constantly. Rudy's going to be a bit bigger than Moe and usually "wins" most of the fights. Awwww. Caesar, on the other hand, isn't doing too well. He's been getting treatment for arthritis but now it looks like he has degenerative disk disease all through his back, compressing his spine. Last week, he was totally unable to walk but, lots of drugs and vet bills later, he's able to get around now. As long as he isn't in pain and remains relatively happy, we'll keep forcing the pills down his throat (he's pretty good, actually).

On Sunday, there will be a worldwide candle lighting for Compassionate Friends. Since we'll be in Cabo, we'll light our candle there for Adrienne for 10 minutes at 7 pm.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cabo sounds great this time of year! I didn't get a chance to see Julie and Julia (don't think Tyler would sit still that long....), but I do hope to rent it. I like those kind of movies, too.

Have a great vacation and get some rest and relaxation. Thinking of you always, Janet

Heather said...

oh alison...i think about adrienne and you so much. not a day goes by that i don't think of you.

and rarely a day goes by that i don't offer a prayer of some sort. one to comfort you, though i know it's probably impossible. one to assure you that adrienne does miss you but is happy and free from pain.

i can't imagine the pain, sadness and loneliness you are experiencing. but please share with us whenever you need to. and ask of us to do anything that may help. please lean on us.

i never had the opportunity to meet your beautiful daughter, but i know that she was very special...plenty have been able to share their experiences meeting adrienne.

i do know how kind and helpful you have been to so many, including me. even when you had so much worry and struggle on your own plate. you always, always took the time to offer assistance to any who asked.

thank you alison. lots of love to you and your family. i hope that cabo will give you a few days of rest and relaxation and peace. lots of love to you as always...

laulausmamma said...

Yes - Cabo does sound like a wonderful place to get away. Rich and Katie stopped there a few years ago when they sailed to Mexico on Rich's boat. It's cold here in SCV too - expecting more rain. We'll be going to Santa Ynez/Solvang this weekend with 2 other couples to celebrate a special decade b'day for Rich. I hope you find that a change of scenery offers some rest and distraction for you and Curt.

Thinking of you often. ((HUGS)) my friend.

Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Just sending love. Love you, Alison. I hope you and Curt enjoy Cabo. xoxo Karen

darlene said...

alison,
thinking about you during this festival of lights...and adrienne...
darlene bekah's mom

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I hope that getting away to Cabo will prove refreshing for you and your husband. A little time away may be just what you need.

Your Julie and Julia story is very funny. It's good to hear you mention a fun Adrienne memory. Oh, you must be missing her as all the holiday movies are being released.

I think of you often and I appreciate that you are sharing this part of your journey on the blog. It gives us a way to show our continued support to you. I hope you gain some comfort from putting your feelings into words.

A Mom in Texas

B. said...

Lighting a candle for Adrienne as I write.. Thinking of you and her.

Sending you Love,

B

Unknown said...

I lit candles on Saturday too, around 7pm . . . this is not an easy time of year for so many of us.

Having strangers ask "how many kids do you have?" is such a minefield . . . I hate it.

Hope you're having a warm and relaxing time.

Karen, Clare's mom

Maggie May said...

I am thinking of you at this time of year. I can't imagine, but I can care deeply, and I do. Love, from one mother, to another.