Wednesday, June 02, 2010

What's Next?

I definitely need something new and different to take my attention. Work has been great but I need a new challenge so I've decided to go back to school. I'll be taking a summer class just after the 4th of July to see how it feels and then will work toward applying for the Fall 2011 term. First, I need to take the dreaded GRE, dreaded because I don't remember the math. I looked it over and I remember the terms so hopefully it'll come right back to me. In the meantime, I can take as many classes as I want at UNLV. First up is a masters in Educational Psychology followed by a PhD. I know, these are big, long range plans (about 6 years worth) and we'll have to see how it goes but I'm not planning to make myself crazy over this. Just taking it a day at a time. Long term, I'd like to teach at a university level and maybe do a bit of research.

Last week, I went to Cabo with my sister and a friend. It was great and a good opportunity. The weather was perfect and we were happy to lay by the pool most days. I'm ready to go back already.

I don't think I've posted a picture of Rudy so here you go with his buddy Moe (Rudy is the bigger one with more white on his face). I call them "Dink" (Moe) and "Bigger Dink" (Rudy).



And we don't want to leave Caesar out. It seems like I can only get a picture when he's laying down, which he does most of the time and he won't let Moe and Rudy in the picture with him.

10 comments:

laulausmamma said...

Hi Allison...good for you...going to school is a great idea and will certainly keep your mind busy! It will open a whole new world and have many new opportunities to offer you along the way.

Glad to hear you made it to Cabo. Rich hopes to sail there in Oct and leave the boat there for the weekend. Heard Bekah has plans to visit LV - hope it works out so she can.

((HUGS))
Susan

Loraine Ritchey said...

Thinking of you always Loraine

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison,
Good luck with school. I can see why Adrienne was such an amazing young woman, I bet she is very proud of you. I hope your heart is healing. Take care. Oh, those puppies are so cute!!

With Love,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison,

The master's program sounds like a great plan! It will definitely keep you busy, and you'll gain so much new insight from your professors and the other students. Enjoy!

I'm glad you enjoyed Cabo, too. I've never been there, but it sounds pretty.

Thinking of you always, XX Janet

Veronica said...

That sounds like a fantastic plan - a very positive step. I think you'd be a fantastic university lecturer and I suspect that your brain (as immense as it is!) will cope with whatever you throw at it.......enjoy the challenge!....<3

JoAnn said...

Hi Alison,

Go for it! I really enjoyed graduate school--got my Masters in Psychometry and worked for four years. Then I went back and got my Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology. I work in a university and it has been a very good fit for me. With the areas you are talking about, I think you will see how versatile a degree or degrees in those fields will be.

I have never been to Cabo but you have talked about it enough times that now I want to go!

Take care,
JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Hi, You don't know me. I have been been following your story and have written before. I am so glad you are thinking of going back to school. I got my masters when I was 44. I was terrified of the GRE's like you would not imagine. In college I choose a major because it only required one math class. Turns out I did not do well on the math was admitted anyway to a state university. My major also did not require math - Library science GO FOR IT!!!!

Marsha said...

I love Caesar.

I am always thinking of you and Adrienne. I will not forget.

School is a great idea. I wanted to go for a PhD (I messed up one years ago), but the Hodge stopped me.

Cabo sound good too. Glad you got some rest.

Big hugs and kisses,

Marsha

Bonnie said...

Sounds like an awesome and very fitting plan. You taught us all so much, I can't help but think you'd be a natural. Hope you're able to jump right in to the routine and get on your way to the end goal. . . with a few trips to Cabo peppered in for good measure. :)

All my best!

Bonnie

PS - the "comment" posts may be fewer, but the thoughts and good wishes are constant. . . <3

laulausmamma said...

Hi Alison - have you gotten all the transcripts/paperwork out of the way and started school for the summer yet? Hope it all worked out and you are started with the masters program.

((HUGS))
Susan