Thursday, March 06, 2008

Quick Check

Adrienne went in today for labs and a PFT. For some reason, the doctor ordered only part of the PFT so she'll probably need to go again (ugh). Her blood counts were great, almost back to normal and her Hodgkin's symptoms (itching, wheezing) are non-existent so it's all good. She even drove herself today. Now she just needs to gain back some weight. We'll be working on that when she comes home next week.

For some time, I've been keeping in touch with Jennifer Willey, a young woman from Maine, who had an allo transplant over a year ago for Hodgkin's. Jennifer is fighting very serious graft-vs-host disease. Her spirit and will to live is amazing while she faces unbelievable obstacles. Please go to her website and leave her a note: http://www.freewebs.com/jenniferwilley/. I don't think I've made a secret of it but I don't believe that allo transplants for Hodgkin's are wise. Given the risks (high) and chances of success (low), we would not choose to do it given the options available today.

5 comments:

laulausmamma said...

Hi Adrienne...glad you got some well-deserved good news at your doctor's appt today...normal blood counts are terrific and non-existent HL symptoms....music to my ears!! I bet your mom will be cooking and baking up a storm for you while you're home for Spring break next week.

Thinking of you often...((HUGS)) from us all here in Valencia.

Susan and family

Anonymous said...

I'm SO GLAD to hear that the symptoms are abating, and the counts looked good. I hope you have a great time together next week, relaxing and eating!

I find that a chocolate milkshake cures many things, mental and physical.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

Alison and Adrienne,

I'm glad to hear Adrienne is feeling better and the counts are rebounding. Adrienne, I hope you have a great week! I wish we got spring break at the office :(.
Janet (Quetzal1)

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,

I am so happy that you got some good news at the doctor. Also, it is fantastic that you are not having any wheezing or itching. What a wonderful way to go into Spring break.

I left a message on your friend's blog as well - I hope that things will turn around for her soon.

Signed
A Mommy

katmm said...

What a gift to have some 'normal' symptom-free days for Adrienne. Enjoy!

Kathy