Monday, April 20, 2009

Sorry folks...not good news

We were really hoping for NED but it seems to be impossible. Adrienne has multiple new patchy densitities in her right lung, in the right infrahilar, and in mid and lower and peripheral lung field. The largest lesion is 3.3 cm in size, not huge, but still surprising. She also has pneumonia in the lower right lung. She had fevers on Friday and Saturday, which I was sure was flu since she has no respiratory symptoms, but apparently not. Her doc at COH is on vacation (says it's his first one in 6 years) so I'll talk to the doc on call later today. I'm hoping we can get her into the LBH589/RAD001 trial at City of Hope and if that doesn't work out, we'll be off to NY for the Belinostat trial.

Timing is always bad, isn't it? Adrienne has 2.5 weeks left of school and Curt and I are off tomorrow to see his brother in San Blas, Mexico. Kent and his partner have owned these bungalows (www.casaroxanna.com) for several years and we haven't been down for a visit yet. We decided just last Friday to go, hours before Adrienne called about the fevers. My sister will be on call in case Adrienne needs anything and, of course, we can get back quickly if necessary.

You never totally get used to this type of news. It still takes the breath out of us.

19 comments:

katmm said...

No words fit to print.

Just know we're thinking of you. Just like you guys, I was sure this was going to be good news.

Know we're thinking of you and wish we could just DO something...

Hugs,
Kathy

Heather said...

i'm sorry. i too was sure of good news. if anything, it shows how darn strong adrienne is. love and hope for the clinical trials...

Kelly Kane said...

Ugh I'm so sorry. I was hoping for a different update. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

XO

laulausmamma said...

Haven't checked in in a few days since Rich, Dorie and I spent a few days in Fresno with Katie and Kyle. Hate reading the latest scan results...wasn't expecting it since everything was crossed while waiting for the results. Glad you have a couple more options ready to try.

Have a good (as possible) few days away. ((HUGS))

Veronica said...

Just sending you both the strongest, tightest hugs.......hope you get on to the trial of your choice and that the pneumonia has been caught early enough not to cause Adrienne any more problems.

So much love......<3.........Vx

Chris said...

Jeez you guys, so sorry to hear the bad news... Another hurdle you don't need right now. Adrienne, please know I'm rooting for you and hoping you feel better. If you're up for it, maybe I can visit you guys when I'm coming through Vegas. Alison, I'll give you a call.

Take good care,

Chris Carr

SunshineBird said...

Oh, Alison. To say I'm sorry is inadequate, an understatement.

I'm praying for you guys.

Love,

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that this was not the news we were all hoping for. My prayers and thoughts are with you both, as always. Much love & hugs, Maureen

Karen, Clare's mom said...

Hate this news, but I wish you strength as you face this again.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised and so sorry to hear this news, too. I was really hoping Adrienne would get a well-earned break. College finals are stressful enough without the additional health issues.

Sending you love and hugs, Janet

Anonymous said...

Dear Alison
Sending lots of love from the Holy Land.
Not a day goes by when I am not thinking of you
Love
Ruty

Anonymous said...

Adrienne and Alison,

I am thinking of you and saying prayers for your comfort and healing. You are both amazing strong women who have endured way more than your share.
Love,
Nancy - TNT particpant

Anonymous said...

Adrienne & Alison: My thoughts and prayers are with you both. You are *very* special people in my heart.
Love,
Janna

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you girls....

Always,
Jane

Tonya said...

Oh Adrienne, this bites! I really have nothing to say except you are in my thoughts and I think you are doing a super job at kicking cancers ass! Keep up the work work girly!

Love from NC,
Tonya

B. said...

Like Kathy has already said, no words, will do this justice.

Alison, I hope you and Curt were able to still make it to Mexico.

And Adrienne, I'm hoping you're crankin' out that thesis as best you can.

Hang in there girls, Thinking of you two,
Sending Love.

Alison, I'll give you a call Monday night. To check in.

Love, love, love,
b.

Duane said...

I'm speechless. I wish could something more eloquent. Just know we're sending you two amazing women an unimaginable amount of love.

tadpole56 said...

Sending warm thoughts from France...
I was hoping for good news -always am- but this is yet another bump on the road. But I know you'll get through it.

tadpole

Anonymous said...

Hope no news is good news. Thinking and praying for you all!