Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting out

Last weekend, Curt and I went to our first show since Adrienne died, Terry Fator (the guy who won America's Got Talent). We've always been a family that enjoyed live theater of every type: music, comedy, drama, and so on. Adrienne would have loved Terry Fator and it made me think of all the shows we saw over the years: Jersey Boys, Phantom, Elton John, Cirque du Soleil, George Carlin, plus many, many more. When she and I went on an Alaskan cruise after the marathon in 2004, we saw two shows a night, grabbing a quick bite for dinner in between. One night, we asked the purser about that evening's shows and he told us it was impossible to see two shows a night. We laughed, telling him we'd done it every other night.

I found this recently and it explains how I feel much of the time.

---------------------------------------

What do we wish others understood about the loss of our child? Here is a partial list of such wishes:

I wish you would not be afraid to speak my child’s name. My child lived and was very important and I need to hear her name.

I wish you wouldn’t feel awkward if I mention her name.

If I cry or get emotional if we talk about my child, I wish you knew that it isn’t because you hurt me: the fact that my child died has caused my tears. You have allowed me to cry and I thank you. Crying and emotional outbursts are healing.

I will have emotional highs and lows, ups and downs. I wish you wouldn’t think that if I have a good day my grief is all over, or if I have a bad day I need psychiatric counseling.

I wish you knew that the death of a child is different from other losses and must be viewed separately. It is the ultimate tragedy and I wish you wouldn’t compare it to the loss of a parent, spouse or pet.

Being a bereaved parent is not contagious, so I wish you wouldn’t shy away from me.

I wish you knew that all the “crazy” grief reactions that I am having are in fact very normal. Depression, anger, frustration, hopelessness, the questioning of values and beliefs are to be expected following the death of a child.

I wish you wouldn’t expect my grief to be over in six months. The first few years are going to be exceedingly traumatic for us.

As with alcoholics, I will never be “cured” or a “former bereaved parent,” but will forever be a “recovering bereaved parent.”

I wish you understood the physical reaction to grief. I may gain or lose weight, sleep all the time or not at all, lose my short-term memory, develop a host of illness and be accident prone, all of which may be related to my grief.

Our child’s birthday, the anniversary of her death, and the holidays are terrible times for us. I wish you could tell us that you are thinking about our child these days and if we get quiet and withdrawn, just know that we are thinking about our child and missing her terribly.

Please understand the I am not the same person I was before my child died, and do not expect me to "get back to my old self". I am forever changed, but if you give me a chance, you may find that you like the "new me".

15 comments:

Debora Blake said...

Hi Alison, thank you for sharing this.
Love, deb

Veronica said...

You have all these fantastic memories of your time with Adrienne - albeit they must bring the pain of loss just now, they will in time bring comfort.
My friend who lost her wee boy last year sent this to her friends:

'When a man's wife dies, he is a widower. When a woman's husband dies, she is a widow. When a child's parents die, he becomes an orphan. There is no word for a parent whose child has died.... thats how awful the loss is.'

You've maybe seen it before, but it is so, so true - helps us who haven't been there try to understand a bit more....

I've said this before, but the positive, if there is one, of having cancer at a young age is to actually value the life you've got - you make more of an effort to make real memories and you know those memories are going to be important for those you may leave behing - W and I have discussed this a lot. Our life is somewhat sadder and less sure, but also richer for the curse of cancer.

Love as always to you, Alison - always here...........<3

Anonymous said...

Dear Alison,

I just love hearing stories about Adrienne. The two of you really knew how to have a good time together and make memories.

Thank you for sharing what you have learned about grieving the death of a child. My own loss was very different because my child was much younger than Adrienne. Grief is not something that can or should be compared.

I hope that you will enjoy many more shows in the months and years to come.

A Mom

Anonymous said...

Alison,
You have suffered the greatest loss imaginable. Every parents worst nightmare. Thank you for the beautiful words. Im always inspired by your strength.
Wendy

Loraine Ritchey said...

Thank you Alison and I have shared with others that lost a reason for being

Anonymous said...

Alison,

Thank you for sharing. I am sure there are many grieving parents who wish they had the words to express these feelings in the way you so eloquently did. I think about you and Adrienne constantly.

I wish my mother had been physically able to share with me the same adventures you and Adrienne shared. What a wonderful relationship you had! It's so unfair that her time here was so short.

I would love to see you sometime if I can ever make it to the Vegas area. Sending lots of love, Janet

katmm said...

I have a similar wish list which ends with,

"I wish very much that you could understand ~ understand my loss and my grief, my silence and my tears, my void and my pain.

BUT. . . I pray daily that you will never understand."

As much as I have hoped and prayed that other Moms (including you Alison) would never have to understand, it seems that there are more of us everyday...

Hugs to you and the puppies

K

Unknown said...

Alison,

I sit here in tears. What a wonderful description of this terrible situation.

I just wanted to tell you that I saw Terry Fator, too, when I was in LV in December. I thought he was fabulous, and I keep telling all my friends that they have to see him when in LV.

I hope you, Curt and the dogs do something enjoyable this weekend.

Hugs,
Eileen

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this, Alison.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison: I simply want you to know that I hold you in my heart every single day. I cannot ever imagine your loss and the empty place that Adrienne has left in your world. I only know that the loss is large for the rest of us that were lucky enough to know her. You and Adrienne brought a lot of light to the Walk Team, and I miss you both.
Love, Janna

Anonymous said...

P.S. (and this is only for you...) I am fundraising in Adrienne's honor and memory this season and there have been some great posts for you and her if you want to go see them.
http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/lavatri10/janna
Hugs, Janna

Sandy Corso said...

Hi Alison,
I've been thinking about you alot, lately.
This "passage" which you've posted, is very poignant, to say the least.
It's true, I'm sure, that the loss of your, own child causes a much, different level of grief. The loss of any child is heartbreaking for anyone who knew them but, admittedly I can't even come close to understanding the emotions which you've had to cope with.
Part of the reason why Adrienne was so extraordinary, is because of the guidance she was given by you!
Just know that, whether it be the "old you" or... "the new you"... I'll always have a tremendous amount of love and respect for you.
Day by day, my friend...
Hugs,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Dear Alison,

I think about you often, I think about Adrienne, I think about you and how devastating the loss of Adrienne must be.
To me losing a child must be the worst of all.

A man I heard on the radio said that he lost both his daughters when their home was on fire, he couldnt save them, he often went back to the farm where it happened, to be with his horses, and one day when he was there and going out of his mind with grief, crying, he felt the comfort of something soft on his shoulder.
It was one of the horses, that layed his head on the mans shoulder, as if the horse knew how to comfort him.
I am not a wise horse, so forgive me if I write something wrong, I wish I could write something right, but I know I cant.

The only feeling I have is, that what will always live and be powerful, is the love that was shared <3 Gitte

laulausmamma said...

Dearest Alison - thinking of you and Adrienne so often. I find myself thinking of Adrienne in little things that I see or hear...things that remind me of stories and adventures she had and were shared with us. Thank you for sharing this latest blog entry...it and some of the responses give us more of an understanding of the feeling of loss for those left behind.

Let me know if you and Curt head to Santa Barbara one weekend...Rich and I would love to meet you for a visit and some wine.
All's well here. I'm keeping busy with work and getting ready for this year's RFL in May....the favorite time of year for me ; )

Sending loving ((HUGS)) as always,
Susan

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing this. It's important and real. Adrienne is in our hearts forever-an amazing girl who has inspired so many.