Sunday, October 17, 2010

Unveiling - October 24, 2 pm

Adrienne's unveiling is scheduled for next Sunday, October 24, at 2 pm. I'm scared to death to see her name on the headstone but I know we need to do this, we need to honor her and her life. Still, I'm expecting it to be tough. The ceremony will be held graveside and attendees are welcomed back to my sister, Diana's house afterwards.

The one-year anniversary of Adrienne's death was about as bad as I expected but I've been getting through the last few weeks okay. Thank you all for your notes and cards. I was truly overwhelmed.

Work and school are busy, so that helps a lot. One would think that time passing is helpful but I find it the opposite...it means Adrienne is farther away and I worry that memories will fade. Sometimes she seems like a dream.

Daniel is going to Colorado for Xmas with his girlfriend's family so it's just me and Curt. We'll be going on a cruise to the Western Carribean, which includes Cozumel, Mexico as well as stops in Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize. We're looking forward to seeing the Mayan ruins as well as some much-needed R&R.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and your family, it doesn't get any easier. Our son has been gone a year plus and the hurt is still there. My prayers are with you.

The Reeds said...

Alison, I think of you and Adrienne all of the time. I'm sorry I don't post/call/email more often. I know from experience that words can't take away pain, but hopefully they can offer encouragement. You are an awesome mom and incredible person. You will be in my thoughts and prayers even more this week and next weekend. The cruise sounds fabulous, and you deserve every minute of rest and relaxation... and yummy food:)

Loraine Ritchey said...

" One would think that time passing is helpful but I find it the opposite"

Me too time is not healing just vanishing - I think of you all the time.....and I know as I go through these days there is one whom I have never met who knows exactly the journey ..... Loraine

JoAnn said...

Alison, you, your family and especially Adrienne have been in my thoughts this month. For a person I never knew other than this blog, I knew the anniversary of her death was coming up as if she was someone close to me. From the losses I have experienced, I found that the hurt was almost unspeakable at times, and the "first" everything was so painful. I wish there were words that would be at least soothing. I am sorry you are going through this.

It sounds as if school is going very well and the cruise sounds like a fun but relaxing time to look forward to. Take care. . .JoAnn

Julie said...

I think of you often, though I haven't written any notes here. You are an amazing person, Alison. I will be thinking of you on October 24th as well.

Much love,
Julie Doll (beightler68 from the forum)

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you and your family this weekend, Alison. My experience has been that memories truly do get better with time, even though we never stop missing our loved ones. Sending love and prayers, Janet

Anonymous said...

I wish I was on better speaking terms with God because if I was, I'd thank him for giving us Adrienne. Of course, I'd ask for her back but I wouldn't get her. She's too valuable wherever she goes.

Michael Herlehy

MaryBeth said...

Today I am thinking of you and praying for you even more than usual!
Mary Beth

laulausmamma said...

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow...
I know it will be a rough hurdle to get over.

((HUGS))
Susan