Thursday, January 24, 2008

Falling...Now What?

Since Tuesday, Adrienne has fallen twice leaving her somewhat bruised and sore. The culprit is peripheral neuropathy from the oxaliplatin. It seems to have started very early, probably due to Adrienne's prior treatment with vinblastine, vincristine, and vinorelbine, all of which cause peripheral neuropathy. In 2003, after her allo transplant, she was barely able to walk and had numerous falls so this is particularly concerning. I called the drug company yesterday and their studies only include people newly diagnosed and, in fact, the person I spoke with said she'd never heard of anyone who had had so much treatment. The long and short of it is that peripheral neuropathy can be debilitating and lasts up to two years in about half the people. Needless to say, it seems unlikely that she'll be able to stay on the oxaliplatin, so there may be no treatment for awhile until another clinical trial is available. We just hope we got enough of the Hodgkin's to give her some breathing room.

In other news, Adrienne's class schedule is set. The best part is she only has classes Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so hopefully her stress level will be minimal and she'll have some free time. She's taking Intro to Media Studies, Leadership in Management, Forensic Psychology, and Ethics in Management. I wish I could go back to college.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adrienne..You are an amazing young woman. Your story leaves me at a loss for words. WOW.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne, I always keep up with your mom's blog. You & your family are always in my thoughts & prayers. Chelsea is at Sonoma State & Mary will be going to Sacramento State in the fall.
Take Care,
Debora

laulausmamma said...

Hi Adrienne...Glad you only have 3 days of classes...you'll really enjoy your longgg weekends! I have tomorrow (Fri) off and I'm so looking forward to a long weekend. Wish we lived closer to your school so you could come visit to get away from the dorm for a while...but if you feel like driving...please know you are ALWAYS welcome to come here.
We think of you every day and send warm hugs and positive vibes. We are in awe of your fortitude.

Fondly,
Susan

Duane said...

Hey Adrienne,

Your courses sound really interesting. I bet they'll be really rewarding! Moreover, I'm glad to learn that you'll have some space in your schedule as well.

Feel better, Adrienne. Thinking about you and your mom always.

With love and best wishes,
Duane

skye said...

I'm not sure if I've ever left comments on your blog. I'm sorry for neglecting you, and wanted to add my well-wishes for Adrienne. I hope you are able to come to a good resolution regarding her treatment, and I am definitely hoping Adrienne is able to enjoy her latin dance class!

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,

It sounds like your school schedule is just perfect. I wish I had that schedule back in college. = D

Thinking of you.

B. said...

Dearest Adrienne,

I so wish sometimes we, especially you, could just wake up one morning. And not have to deal with these side effects, or any difficulties that lay in your way..

I know you will enjoy every second of your classes, I wish for you a beautiful, and stress-free semester.

Tons of Love,

Bekah

Anonymous said...

I hate cancer and these darn side effects . . . it's an unfair attack on top of the cancer itself. I hope this falling isn't a long term thing, really the last thing you need.

I love hearing about the college courses as it seems everyone in the comments does. I'd rather hear about you going to school than having to face doing it myself! Much more fun for me that way!

Take care, strong women. You're facing up against it with much style and grace.

Karen, Clare's mom

Unknown said...

Hi Adrienne and Alison,

We too always check in on you guys via the blog. Thank you so much doing it for all of us who are thinking about you always. We send all our love and thoughts your way. Have a fabulous semester at college and keep fighting that beast.
Love Penny, Andrew and family

Unknown said...

Hi Adrienne - We were wondering how you were doing back in CA. Sorry the chemo is so hard. It really sucks that you have to endure more. Your class schedule sounds great and your courses sound like fun. Hang in there and have some fun. Hugs,
Jill and Alex