Saturday, January 12, 2008

Religion and Politics

These are two subjects I usually don't discuss because inevitably they result in arguments but this presidential election has my curiousity peaked. Politically, I would say I'm very moderate: fiscally conservative, socially liberal. Unfortunately, sometimes those views are at odds with each other. When we moved to Nevada last year, I registered as an independent voter because, frankly, I'm pretty disgusted with both parties. In California, that means you can't vote in the primary elections but I found out that that Nevada has a caucus where you just show up to vote, pretty cool.

The California primary was always in June so our votes didn't mean much. Plus, the candidate who won that state has always been known for a long time so they didn't visit California a lot despite its large electorate. This year, the presidential candidates are very interested in our little state because of the early caucus. Last night, we had the opportunity to see Barack Obama. We've never been to a campaign event like this and thought it would be interesting and we were not disappointed. Standing in line and waiting for 3 hours wasn't a lot of fun but being there and experiencing our system in action was exciting. I am still undecided in this race but I hope to attend more events like this with other candidates.

Adrienne is feeling good the last few days and is eating better. She was quite weak earlier in the week but her strength is returning. She had labs drawn yesterday and her platelets are quite low, 50,000. The doctor said he hasn't seen platelets that low with this protocol and is concerned that her bone marrow is "tenuous" given her prior treatments. She is supposed to get chemo on Friday but I think we'll check the platelets again here before going to California to make sure she can get her treatment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked on the Hill for a few years, following tax and business issues for lobbyists in downtown DC law firms. It's a little known fact, but politics is kind of like watching paint dry for long, long periods of time.

Hope those platelets come up soon.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

Adrienne

Thinking of you and praying that your numbers come up in the next few days. It's good to hear that you are feeling a bit better.

I came across your blog on "Journal of a Prizefighter." Your journey has been long and you are quite an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Adrienne

Its been awhile since we trained together with TNT, but you came across my mind for some reason so I looked you up online, and I know why now. You were an inspiration to get across the finish line at Avenue of the Giants, at Nike and my two hikes with Hike for Discovery, and you continue to be. You are in my thoughts and prayers. - Cat

laulausmamma said...

I'm shaking my pom poms that your platelets will be where they should be so you can have your treatment on Friday and visit us on Sat. Everything is crossed!

B. said...

Dearest Adrienne,

You have been in my thoughts, most of today. Hoping that your counts and levels all resume, nicely.

But more or less, wishing that someone, anyone, could take the place of you while you endure more chemo.

We have never spoken, but your fearlessness, courage, and determination shine through your mothers words - like you would not believe.

I wish you more strength to keep you going through this chemo, and the knowledge that you have touched the lives of many, many, individuals, by just being you.

All my Love,

B

Duane said...

So glad to hear that Adrienne is feeling better. Let's just get those platelets to rise!

Your description of the political rally sounds so interesting. Way to go!

Much love always to you both.