Sunday, November 30, 2008

We are devastated

Adrienne woke up early Saturday morning to find Gus vomiting on her bed. She slept the rest of the morning on her floor while he slept in his crate, and then we took him to the vet after the vomiting didn't stop. After a rough and tense day, Gus died yesterday afternoon. The neighbor's puppy has been coming into our backyard and we think he has either parvovirus or some other similar virus. Even though Gus was vaccinated, puppies can still get it until they are about 8 months old. Needless to say, we are all devastated. Gus quickly became a very important member of our family and brought us much joy. Adrienne is inconsolable. On Friday, we also found out that Prince has an incurable cancer and will probably pass away in the coming months. We all remember how tiny he was when we got him, the runt of the litter, and he's been a wonderful family pet for more than 12 years. Unfair just doesn't begin to describe it.

Add to that, Adrienne's pain continues. We are pretty sure now that this is not a kidney stone but some other problem either related to her Hodgkin's or possibly a kidney infection from her cystitis. We'll try to push her scans up to this week to get some answers. She's gone from taking vicodin to oxycodone and now tramadol for the pain.

9 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

I'm soooo sorry guys! Such awful news. I wish I had more to say...

Thinking of you both!
XO

Heather said...

oh NO. =( i'm so sorry alison and adrienne. sending lots of love your way.

laulausmamma said...

Oh my dear friends...how terribly sad about both Gus and Prince. I've been hearing too often lately about Parvo taking some sweet pups away from their loving families. I know the heartache you are feeling right now...I feel your sadness as I know the feelings of love and companionship that our pets bring to our families.

Hoping that Adrienne's scan can be moved sooner so the origin of her pain can be pinpointed and dealt with.

Sending loving ((HUGS)) of support and friendship from us all.
Susan Rich Lauren and Dorie

Veronica said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry for all of you.....little Gus was such an important addition to your family - you're right - unfair just doesn't cover it :(

We lost both of our dogs within a couple of months of each other earlier this year to damn cancer so we know how awful you're feeling - hugs to all of you......Vx

katmm said...

Adrienne and Alison,
I am so very sorry to hear about Gus. I know how hard it is to lose your best furry friend.

Unfortunately, I have no words of wisdom - I have not found a way to make it easier. Give yourselves time.

Kathy

Tyler Chambers said...

I'm sorry for your loss! Adrienne hang in there, you too Alison.

I hope they can move your scans up to find out what's going on.
I haven't been on line in a while, miss talking to you.
Thoughts are with you all

Kelly

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear such sad news. Hang in there guys. Thinking of you and your family
With love Penny and Andrew

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs. Our creatures become so important to us.

Thinking of you here in Maryland.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

I started crying when I read this post my heart breaks for you both and words escape me.