Tuesday, July 14, 2009

In Hospital

Adrienne is in the hospital now. We had her admitted yesterday afternoon after giving her everything we had at home. I was concerned about overmedicating and drug reactions, so after calling the clinic, we agreed to so in. She dropped her class at UNLV, which is no big deal, but it's a prerequisite for most of the classes she planned for the fall. She's been on IV dilaudid every two hours since being admitted and this afternoon we started to get her on oral pain meds. She still isn't pain-free so she'll keep the IV as long as needed. If the pain is from the Neulasta, it should go away on its own in a few days. If not, well, we'll deal with it then. The mouth pain is much better and she even ate some fried chicken for dinner. Except for the pain, she's actually doing okay, no shortness of breath, no weakness, nothing.

Except...I went downstairs to get her some ice cream and came back to find a neutropenic sign on her door. After a bunch of checking, she really isn't that neutropenic but they're being extra careful. They wanted to give her a Neupogen shot, which would likely give her even more bone pain. Huh? I made them call the doc and the shot was cancelled but I expect her ANC will be almost nonexistent tomorrow. We had hoped to get her out of there on oral pain meds but now I don't know. We'll see what tomorrow brings. For now, she's resting fairly comfortably.

4 comments:

Heather said...

i'm sorry to hear that adrienne is experiencing so much pain. hopefully she will have relief soon. lots of love...

laulausmamma said...

So glad I checked in to check on you Adrienne...so sorry to read of all the pain you've been having since you started the new treatment. Sending loving prayers that the meds will keep it in better control for you while the Vinblastine works it's magic for you. Sorry about having to drop the summer class...school stuff will work out for you somehow...it always does. ((HUGS)) from all of us from where we are visiting my family in the New York City area (Staten Island).

Susan

Kirsten (not Kristen) said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for pain and worry that you guys are going through. Hoping Adrienne can come home ASAP.

Thoughts and hugs from Vancouver,
Kirsten

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear this, but am glad at least Adrienne is getting some relief. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the pain subsides as you move away from the last Neupogen injection.

I'm thinking of you both and send my love,

Lisa