Friday, August 28, 2009

Mad and Frustrated

That's how I'd describe how Adrienne is feeling right now. Her creatinine (a measure of kidney function) has been going up and up since she was admitted. The nephrologist came to see her yesterday, they did an ultrasound and UA test, and it looks like she has some chronic kidney disease, probably as a result of her prior treatments. They stopped the antibiotic that causes the most kidney toxicity and her numbers came down slightly today. This is good news and hopefully the trend will continue.

She's still tied to the oxygen, which is really frustrating for her. We got a longer line in her room so at least she can get out of bed and she was able to take a shower yesterday. And yes, the boys (Caesar and Moe) came to visit last night, which she really enjoyed. The plan now is to try to get her home and then start Rituxan to debulk the tumors. The Rituxan doesn't kill the cancer cells but it does kill the inflammatory cells that surround the cancer cells and actually make up the bulk of the tumors. If we can debulk the tumors, the pleural effusions should resolve on their own. Yes, they're still there but haven't changed since Monday, which is good news too. As I keep saying...a day at a time.

6 comments:

Veronica said...

I can't imagine how you both must be feeling - just so much going on just now :0(
Alison - your ability to look for the positives in every difficult situation is inspiring....one day at a time.....we're right there with you (if only!)
Hoping you get home soon, Adrienne, and hoping Curt is keeping you updated about doggy antics in the meantime ;0)
Hugs, hugs and more hugs.......<3

Tiamet said...

Adrienne & Alison,
Though I don't post a lot, I want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. The strength and determination you both have is incredible.
I got them to give me a 40 foot line for 02 at home. It allows me the freedom to go to the areas I want (including the all important kitchen!).

God Bless,
Dave

Andra said...

I'm so sorry to hear of this latest news. Our thoughts are with you, Adrienne and Alison and the rest of your family.

Skye said...

Alison and Adrienne,
I have been so pathetic about keeping up on the hodge board or even checking the blogs of all my hodge family, and I am so sorry for that. When I read about Adrienne's hospitalization, I just had to write, though, and let you know you are in my thoughts. I don't pray often, but I am sending one up for each of you today. I am so sorry you are having to continue to fight so hard every day. This damn disease is just so unfair. Please know I think of the two of you often anyway, but given your current struggles, you will be on my mind non-stop until I hear A is doing better.

Love to both of you!!

Heather said...

i don't blame adrienne one bit for being mad and frustrated. i am upset for her too! i really hope that the rituxan will work wonders. it has for us NHL'ers. lots of love always...

Eva said...

Alison,

I've not been on the board in some time but I follow Zach and Erin on CaringBridge. She mentioned you and Adrienne, and I wanted you to know that you and Adrienne are in my prayers. I wish that I would have known; we were in Vegas last week (not that we would have intruded) but I would have liked to give you a real hug instead of a cyber-hug.

Please know that both Johnny and I are thinking of you and we send all our love to you both. You've always lent us such encouragement and knowledge. I pray for this to resolve for Adrienne quickly. Strength to you, my friend.

Love,

Eva and Johnny Rodriguez
Cleveland, OH