Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New York Update

We landed on Sunday night to discover that Eric McLeod Brule (http://kathmm.blogspot.com/) passed away unexpectedly earlier in the day. His mom, Kathy, and I have shared a lot together with our kids who were the same age. Both Eric and Kathy always had such a great, uplifting view on life and their difficult situation, and helping other people whenever they could. Our hearts go out to Eric and his family.

We had quite a meet-up at Dr. O's office on Monday morning. Bekah (http://truebeautyneverhurries.blogspot.com) was there as well as Kara (http://karalees.blogspot.com/) and both got great reports. Bekah is going to be able to take a chemo break and KARA IS IN REMISSION. How great is that after her docs at Vanderbilt told her to go home and get her affairs in order? Wow! Afterwards, we went downtown to Adrienne's favorite pizza restaurant...called Adrienne's.

We discussed options for Adrienne but decided to get an MRI to get to the source of her pain. She had the MRI yesterday and we got the report this afternoon, which was not good at all. Considering what's going on in her little body, it's amazing that she looks so good and has been able to walk all over the city. I don't have all the details except that there's a large pleural effusion that takes up 1/3 of the space of the left lung as well as new disease throughout her spine. Adrienne has been a bit short of breath, which we thought was caused by the pain meds, but the effusion explains it. The plan is to get a PET scan in the morning and hopefully get the effusion drained tomorrow or Friday. Bad news: the SGN-35 allo trial will not be available until January. I'll post again as soon as I know more.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn it, anyway...I'm hoping draining of the effusion gives Adrienne immediate pain relief. Know you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you love,

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sorry all of you did not get great news in NY. Hoping Adrienne's pain lessens soon; she is in my thoughts.

Kelly (kittycatmom)

Heather said...

i'm so sorry to hear that adrienne has another complication. i will keep her in my prayers. i saw pics of the meet up with bekah and kara. i'm so glad you got to see them. and adrienne looked beautiful and radiant, you'd never know how her body is in a fight on the inside. lots of love...

Anonymous said...

I was linked to this blog from another blog and have read Adrienne's story from the 1st post to the most recent.(it took 2 days) I am amazed at what Adrienne has accomplished while enduring her long difficult battle. Your blog is amazing and so is Adrienne. She is an inspiration!! I am routing for her to win the battle with this evil disease! I was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2003 and have had many treatments and relapes and am doing well after a stem cell transplant in 2007. I have had many setbacks and doctor's told me in 2003 I had 2 years to live but here I am 6 years later! Keep fighting Adrienne, stay strong and you are in my thoughts and prayers!! Sending hugs from Boston Mass. Donna

Kelly Kane said...

I'm bummed it wasn't good news all around, but am glad you're finding out the source of the pain. I hope you can find another trial sooner to help relieve some of Adrienne's pain.

Thinking of you guys often.

XOXO
Kelly

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that the news wasn't good, but am hopeful that Dr. O can come up with a treatment plan to beat this thing back down. I had an extranodal tumor in my lower back and remember the terrible spasm attacks. I hope Adrienne can start an interim treatment that gives her relief until SGN-35 becomes available. Wishing you both the very best. (((hugs)))

Sharon said...

Oh I was hoping for better news, sorry that Adrienne is still in pain. Hope they can drain the fluid and she feels better soon. She is such a strong young woman, been through way too much. Your both in my prayers, think about you guys often.

Sharon (momofmike)

Anonymous said...

alison and adrienne: don't know if this will help at all, won't go into effect till October, but saw it in the Wall Street Journal this morning: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203496804574346830701075664.html
Laura (lpovinel@hotmail.com)

shelley said...

I'm sorry to hear about your recent news.. I'll be checking in to hear more and know that all my positive energy and thoughts are with you.

I'm Kathy's daughter, Eric's sister and just wanted to say thank you for all the support you've given us through the years.

xo