Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Fragile

Adrienne is breathing and resting comfortably, so I decided to come home for a few hours this morning to catch up on work and chores. I thought I knew a lot about this disease but I've learned even more the last 10 days. I'll try to give a more detailed picture of where we're at.

It turns out that as you have more disease, the types of pulmonary complications Adrienne is having are common. The problem is the disease but we can't treat the disease fully until the pulmonary complications are under better control. Since she has had so much treatment, we have few options and what there is often causes more problems than it solves so its a fine balancing act. The hope now is to get the pulmonary issues under control and then try Rituxan to try to shrink the tumors so we can get her onto another trial. Rituxan frequently causes an allergic type reaction and that could be fatal for her, so no one wants to try until her pulmonary status is more stable. She's getting the procarbazine and etoposide daily but these aren't likely to provide significant disease control given the aggressiveness of her disease. Each day, we wait for the chest xray, labs, and her clinical picture to decide what to do. She seems increasingly weak and thin and that is scary for us to watch.

Several people have asked about sending something. You can send to the hospital directly or to the house (please send an e-mail to me at alison95070@yahoo.com for our home address). She can't have fresh flowers or any food. She's eating but on a restrictive diet.

Mentally, things are particularly tough. Things that never bothered her before are creating extreme anxiety, even taking her pills or brushing her teeth. The nurses have been great, giving her as much time as she needs in between things. She doesn't want visitors and won't read the e-mails and comments you all are leaving. Please don't stop writing though. I hope that soon she'll be ready to listen and know how many people love her. Yesterday was the first day she looked at her new iPhone in several days so we're hoping the trend continues. She felt it was okay for me to come home for a few hours this morning.

Again, thank you for your notes and e-mails and phone calls. Sometimes, I feel up to talking and sometimes I just can't. I know you all understand.

14 comments:

darlene said...

dear alison,
funny that you would apologize for not talking- i'm not sure where you are getting the strength to keep posting. glad you felt ok to come home for a bit- i hope it is a sign that things are improving at least a tiny bit.

we are sending you both positive thoughts and prayers. and thinking of you both constantly.
darlene - bekah's mom

Anonymous said...

Still thinking about you all. Praying like crazy too! Thanks for updating frequently Alison - Adrienn is an incredibly amazing woman and clearly a fighter.
BIG HUGS xoxoxoxox
Stacy

B. said...

Dearest Alison,

Just grateful that you have the energy to post little things about A, so we all know what's going on. Can't thank you enough for that. Hopefully you and A will both get some good sleep this afternoon. And, the pups do their job and give you and Curt as much love and attention you two need as well.

Holding you girls in my thoughts,

B

cathyn said...

Alison, I keep checking your site for updates and I can't stop thinking about Adrienne. She has been through so much and always has come out on top and I pray that she does this time. I HATE this disease as we all do.

Please keep us posted as much as you can and let Adrienne know that SO many people are thinking of her.

You are such a strong person as well and I know how hard this is for you. Sending my love and thoughts for your strength as well.

Love,

Cathy
"Life32" on Lymphoma.com

Anonymous said...

Love you. Love you. Love you.

Lisa

Veronica said...

Adrienne and Alison - you are loved SO much, by SO many.......we hope that love gives you both strength.
Here's to finding a way to control this latest stage.......onwards and upwards - hugs to you both........<3..........Vx

laulausmamma said...

Glad you got home for a little while to catch up. Thanks for taking the time for giving us an update. Thinking of you constantly. Sending love and ((HUGS)) as always.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Alison,
Thanks for the updates. I am thinking about you both and hoping that things get better soon.

Marla Zamczyk

Kate and Kurt said...

Alison,

I find myself checking your blog several times a day to get an update on your sweet baby. You are so strong, please lean on us for additional strength. We are all here to support you and cheer Ad on through this lastest hump.

I will be specific and purposeful in my prayers for your family. Your updates help me be detailed in my prayers for her. We sincerly hope you will be through this battle soon and have your daughter back home with you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Alison,

I'm praying very much for Adrienne, you and your family.

Isabelle

Annie said...

dear alison,
just found out about what you all are going through and it breaks my heart to go through the blog entries. what an amazing girl she is! i am sending my love with hopes that adrienne gets better very soon. both adrienne and daniel will always have that special place in my heart as i cherish so many great memories i have with them, even if they might not remember me much. can't believe they've grown up so fast.
hang in there!
with love,
annie

Kelly Kane said...

I hope Adrienne starts feeling better. The iPhone playing sounds like she's doing a little better. I hope you can bring the pups back to visit her and lift her spirits.

Thinking of you all. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

XO

Unknown said...

So glad to read this post--thinking of you as you fight this battle.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

Alison, Please give Adrienne a gentle hug from us. Wish we could give you one too! Thinking of you always, praying that these lung issues clear up right away. Sending love and hugs to you, again and again. <3 Maureen & Stephen