Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Long days

I've known enough people in Adrienne's situation over the years to know that this is going to be a very long, slow process. We hope for progress each day but sometimes it doesn't come. Today is one of those days. There have been a few minor changes to the vent settings. One doc says the lungs sound better, another says they sound the same. I have to remind myself that this is only day 4 on the vent, the chemo takes time to work, and her lungs will take time to heal.

Labs are being done twice a day so that's a constant but known change. I haven't discussed it with the onc, but I assume she'll still get chemo on Sunday even if her counts haven't come up. I don't think we have a choice.

Adrienne nods, shakes her head, and squeezes my hand when I ask questions. No, she has no pain. No, she has no shortness of breath. Yes, she wants to have her mouth swabbed. Yes, she likes it when I rub her feet. Yes, she's comfortable.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Ugh this does sound like a very long day. I hate that Adrienne and your whole family are having to go through this. I'm so glad she's not in pain and enjoying your foot rubs as her lungs rest, heal, and fight the disease. I have been thinking of you all lots, so I thank you for taking the time to update. I know people say this all the time, but it's really true that you and Adrienne are inspirational in your love and support for each other. In this scary time, may you find strength and peace in the love your family radiates for each other!

Duane said...

This must be unimaginably difficult, Alison. Know that so many have you close to our hearts.

Thinking of Adrienne. :)

Annie said...

alison;
i went through this with a very dear friend of mine a few years ago and have an idea of what you are going through.
reading the posts, there are a ton of peple out there trying to support and who love adrienne so much. i am one of them.
keep fighting. what a strong a-team you are!!
xoxo - annie

laulausmamma said...

Yes...it does sound like it will be a long slow process to get Adrienne up and running again...but it is worth the time it will take when the day comes for her to be back in her own bed joined by her favorite 4 legged friends.

Cancer knows that the "A team" is a force to be reckoned with...this team doesn't back down...and with an army of supporters right there beside you sending love, support and prayers...it's a powerful entity!

Hope you are taking care of yourself too. Wish I could help you out to be sure. Thinking and praying for you all often.

((HUGS)) my friend...
Love,
Susan

Veronica said...

Adrienne, I'm so glad to read you are comfortable in spite of everything that is happening to you......<3
Alison..........we're with you every long second of every long day, love you both, so very much.......<3

Anonymous said...

Long days and baby steps on the road to making it home. Sometimes no news is good news.

I am glad that Adrienne does not have pain and does not have shortness of breath. Sounds as though her doctors are doing a wonderful job of keeping her comfortable. What a blessing.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

A Mom

Anonymous said...

I wish I had magic powers and could just snap my fingers, or wiggle my nose, and make Adrienne all better. As elementary/childish as that sounds, I can't help but feel that way. I know we all do.

May the days bring healing and increasing wellness. Sending my love and prayers,

Lisa

B. said...

Sending big hugs,
calling tomorrow.
love you two.

B