Friday, September 04, 2009

You won't believe this

Adrienne had a rough night. At around 4:30 am, the tech came to do her daily chest xray. She usually just lays there while a lot of activity goes on around her, usually. This time, she had a full panic attack with hyperventilating and crying, and then the expected low sats. It took quite awhile to get her to calm down and back on the new BiPAP (not a BiPAP but like a BiPAP and I can't remember what it's called now). She's been taking Xanax here and there for the increasing anxiety but now she's going to get it every 6 hours on schedule. One crisis averted but the nurses wanted me to stay all morning. I was able to wash my hair in the sink (missed yesterday) and take a sponge bath. The regular room had a shower but the ICU room doesn't and they wouldn't let me use the staff shower (worried I might fall or something ridiculous like that).

Anyways, we have a trusty housesitter, Naomi, that loves our dogs and takes good care of everything. Having her at the house helps me sleep at night and focus on Adrienne, plus I don't have to leave detailed instructions like I do for Curt :). Around noon today, my neighbor calls saying the dogs have been barking and no one is answering the door. I gave her the combination to the garage and she got in and called me right back. Naomi was blue and it looked like she wasn't breathing so I said to call 911 right away and I came right home. The hospital is about 20-25 minutes from our house so it took me awhile to get back. Apparently Naomi had been vomiting and is a diabetic (I knew about the diabetes but not the vomiting). The paramedics came and took her to the hospital (she was breathing after all) and the dogs are fine, of course. Just some pee by the back door but there was vomit all over one bathroom. I'm almost done with the laundry after cleaning everything up and the dogs are now taking a nap. Karen (thatonegirl) is spending the afternoon with Adrienne until I get back to the hospital and Curt is on his way home, but that will take awhile given the holiday weekend traffic. My neighbor will look after things here until he gets back tonight. When it rains, it pours.

Adrienne is about the same. The docs talked yesterday and will decide today what treatment to give her. Chemo is definitely in the plan. She had a bit of a fever this morning but it was gone by the time I left, around noon. Everyone is doing everything possible for her so we remain hopeful, though this is the hardest thing any of us has ever had to do.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word - What a day, all the way around. Alison, God bless your heart...and Adrienne's. Her anxiety is completely understandable and I hope a steady dose of my best friend, Xanax, will help her immensely.

All kidding aside, I hope things get better for sweet Adrienne, as well as for you. I just wish I were there to help in any way possible.

Love,

Lisa

Annie said...

Alison!
My goodness!It really pours on you right now. So sorry you have to go through all this. Wish I could help. I admire how you still come up with all the strength and keep everybody informed.
Hope things improve real soon and you can take Adrienne home with you.
Deep hugs,
Annie

Chris said...

Calgon, take me away... You couldn't write this stuff in a script Allison. My gosh, don't know what to say except when this is through, I hope you guys can go pamper yourself somewhere. Please hang in there.

Hugs, Chris

Anonymous said...

Yes, Alison, this is unbelievable. Just what you did not need right now. I was worried when I did not see a blog until late today, but I'm so glad to read that the panic wasn't over Adrienne in this case.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Alison,

You are a woman of incredible strength. Be sure to use that some of that strength to take care of yourself. Adrienne needs you well.

Sending prayers that Adrienne turns the corner and each day is a little better than the last.

My heart goes out to you, Adrienne and the rest of the family. Hang in there, keep the faith.

I hope the anti-anxiety meds start to help soon. Anxiety can cause decreased O2 levels.

I hope the meds work and Adrienne has a much better night tonight.

Judy_smile

katmm said...

Good Grief Charlie Brown...

Yes, look forward to some nice vaca once the chemo does it's job and you guys can escape all this drama.

Say hi to Karen - glad she is close by doing what the rest of us wish we could....

hugs and warm thoughts - always.

Kathy

Unknown said...

In a word, unbelievable. Alison, sending you strength upon strength.

I hope the docs soon come up with a plan that addresses the anxiety too . . . how scary for you and Adrienne.

Karen, Clare's mom

Anonymous said...

I am exhausted and anxious just reading this, Alison. You are one very strong lady. Fingers fervently crossed that things get better for Adrienne very soon and you can start taking care of yourself a little bit!

Annejohn

KEK said...

Holy crap.

Kimberly

Katie said...

Holy crap is right!! What a day. I'm in Fresno at Katie's and have checked for a blog update a couple of times...a scare when there wasn't one until later in the day..understandably so! What a day you've had! Praying that tonight will be better for you all. ((HUGS))
Susan

Marsha said...

Oh boy. :( Alison, I wish I were close to be able help. You are one strong lady, but we knew it all along.
You and Adrienne are awlays in my thoughts. I check you blog several times a day. Please please let the new tx work for Adrienne! We need some good news.
Love, as always, and big hugs,
Marsha

Marsha said...

Oh boy. :( Alison, I wish I were close to be able help. You are one strong lady, but we knew it all along.
You and Adrienne are awlays in my thoughts. I check you blog several times a day. Please please let the new tx work for Adrienne! We need some good news.
Love, as always, and big hugs,
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Our church is now praying for Adrienne at the request of one of our congregation who is being treated for non-Hodgkins. We are a small church in St. Augustine, Florida, which believes God works healings of all kinds. May He be with Adrienne and the rest of you during her illness.

keltik (karen T.) said...

whne it rains it pours...hopefully that is the worst of it, and now it will get better. HUGS!!