Monday, September 28, 2009

No changes

Adrienne is doing about the same. Every little thing is an event here in ICU but I'm trying to take it in stride. Her regular oncologist is the physician on the inpatient service for the next 7 days. I thought he was going to cry when he came in this morning (what a nice man). He's been keeping up with what's going on but now he'll be here every day. No, he didn't say no chemo, he just didn't want to give it while her counts were so low and Dr. O agreed. But, there isn't much to do until this infection clears up. She got a new catheter last night and is getting a new PICC line today. I'm glad they aren't talking about removing the port-a-cath but I wouldn't be surprised if that comes up too. Otherwise, things are fairly stable or at least as stable as they can be and she hasn't had any fevers since Friday.

As I've said in previous posts, I'm very happy with Adrienne's care here (except for a-- onc and he didn't make any mistakes, just wasn't helpful). Yes, she's getting antifungals. She was on them while neutropenic but they stopped them as soon as her counts came up to give her liver and kidneys a break. She's been treated at several top, top institutions (Stanford, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, City of Hope, New York Pres/Columbia) so I know what to expect, what to ask, when to be a pest and when to let everyone just do their jobs. I think her care here is as good as she would get anywhere and, if anything, they're being extra cautious and careful about everything and things definitely happen quicker here than at a larger institution. All of her docs here have come from fine institutions including the pulmonologist who came from Sloan Kettering and has been here almost every day (someone covers when he's not here). The docs here are working from an extreme disadvantage caused by the cancer and they're doing the best they can in an impossible situation. You can't rush this, people react differently to different things, and sometimes things just happen.

9 comments:

Veronica said...

Glad things are stable - you sound like you're holding up incredibly well, Alison - as ever, you write with such grace and strength......love, love, love......Vx

Marsha said...

No fevers since Friday - this is good. Let's wait till the antifungals do their job. I hope it's very soon. Love and hugs, as always. Marsha

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are happy with Adrienne's team. It must be a comforting feeling to have a team you can trust. What a blessing indeed.

Take care.

A Mom

Unknown said...

Hi Alison - Glad things are stable and that you're happy with Adrienne's care. One less thing to stress about! Hospitals run on their own time which unfortunately is ever so slow as you know. I hope your next post reads "infection gone, time for chemo". Hugs, Jill

Annie said...

The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is pull up your blog to see how you girls are doing. When I read your headline "I miss Adrienne" it almost stopped my heart. I am so glad that things have calmed a bit and although the waiting game is rough, there is more hope and a good chance that the meds will work and she can receive chemo.
I talked to my parents today and as always they asked about Adrienne and they are sending their love. They are thinking of you, too, and especially my dad gets teary when I tell him about Adrienne's situation.
You are loved around the world and we are all still hoping for the best possible outcome for you and your beautiful girl.
Hugs & Love,
Annie

Anonymous said...

Prayed hard for both of you last night and today...please know that there are so many of us on your team! Small steps..and hoping there will continue to be rays of light shining through for Adrienne...

Brian
CalifGuy

laulausmamma said...

I've checked in a few times today but this is the first chance I've gotten to post from work today. What a blessing that you are comfortable with the care and concern Adrienne is getting. Makes a huge difference in the situation you find yourself in.

As Veronica said...you sound good (under the circumstances) and your writings on the blog are so heartwarming.

Huge ((HUGS)) to you both and much love as always...
Susan and Rich

Skye said...

I'm glad you have the wisdom you do to handle all the ups and downs-and now the waiting game you are forced to play. I would be tearing my hair out and screaming for SOMETHING to be done.I just continue to be amazed by you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved to hear that things are currently stable. Of course this will take time, and your wisdom and perspective never cease to inspire me. The fight, true grit, and tough resolve Adrienne and you show us every single day is nothing short of amazing.

I hope you know how much we love and support you.

Lisa